Friday, October 16, 2015

Review: Etude House Lip & Eye Remover

I'm usually down for trying various Korean products, what with their miraculous formulas, cute packaging, and encouraging prices; but there has been one kind of product that I have held off trying ever since: the Insert-body-part-here Remover products.

Call in an unhealthy obsession for words, or maybe chalk it up to suspicions with untranslated ingredient labels, but I have been uncomfortable about even touching bottles that say "nail remover", "eye remover", "lip & eye remover", or anything of the sort. Because if the stuff ends up burning through the nail polish and removing my actual nail, people would go "Duh, Valerie, that's what it said on the packaging."

But I did end up with a bottle of this Lip & Eye Remover (yikes) from Etude House after my dad misunderstood a text I had sent him to get a different brand of makeup remover.

So here we are.
Etude House Lip & Eye Remover
P198 for 100mL


One thing that they should be working on is sticking on a translation of the ingredient label so you can check if you're going to be sensitive to any of the ingredients long-term (good thing they always have testers for the short term)

ANYWAY, at least the brand's official web page has a translation

Ingredients (from: etudehouse.com September 2015): WATER, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, VIOLA TRICOLOR FLOWER/LEAF/STEM WATER, IRIS FLORENTINA ROOT EXTRACT, DECYL GLUCOSIDE, DISODIUM EDTA, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, LAURYL METHYL GLUCETH-10 HYDROXYPROPYLDIMONIUM CHLORIDE, BENZOPHENONE-5, BENZYL ALCOHOL, SODIUM CHLORIDE, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, PEG-40 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL, HEXYLENE GLYCOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, FRAGRANCE, BLUE 1 (CI 42090)

The second ingredient on that list after water is Cyclopentasiloxane, which is a silicone to help the make up slip off your face. The third is the various parts of the viola flower. I don't know if it's this or the iris root extract that makes it smell like China-made insect spray.

According to the packaging:  Gentle, yet highly effective, this double formulated lip & eye remover easily and instantly dissolves all traces of make-up for a soothing and moisturizing effect on the sensitive eye & lip area without any irritation.


Since this is a bi-phase product, you have to shake it first before putting some on a cotton pad. The bi-phase-ness is also an indication that this will also remove waterproof makeup -- which my dad said the SA confirmed. Well then. We. Shall. See.


I call this Evil Witch Face
Shadows:
Inner lid - Art Deco Long-Lasting Shadow Stick #24 (green) - waterproof
Outer lid - Etude House  Look at My Eyes in Cafe Mocha
Lashes:
Your left - Heroine Make Long and Curl Mascara - waterproof 
Your right - Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara - waterproof
Lips: Maybelline Very Cherry

Yes, that is two different mascaras. On your left is a waterproof Heroine Make mascara - well known for being nigh impossible to remove (hard mode), and on your right is a regular waterproof Maybelline mascara (easy/normal mode)


I pressed the saturated cotton pad onto each eyelid 3 times for 30 seconds then washed with a foaming cleanser.


The result: I'm happy to report that there was no sting, and it was able to remove all the eye shadow and eye liner, which is impressive as I use a lot of eye liner. Although it left a visible clump of mascara on the left eye, the right eye looked clean...until the next day, when this happened:

ahh mascara stains first thing in the morning
Not very successful against waterproof mascara (and even after three long presses too!). I gave it another chance with an Office Face, this time with washable mascara

Office Face
Shadows:
Inner lid - Colourpop Super Shock Shadow in Blaze
Outer lid - Etude House  Look at My Eyes in Cafe Mocha
Liner - Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Liner (it's supposed to be waterproof but doesn't perform that way)
Lashes: Maybelline Colossal Volume Mascara (washable)
Lips: your right: Nichido Lip Pencil in Rosette (yes, it's a lip liner that I use as lip color)  
(The left side is Maybelline Velvet Matte in Mat 12 - yes, I was comparing the two shades)

Hey, this is almost a complete drugstore face! 
Much better! It only took 2 30-second presses to take off all the mascara (I made sure this time), and I was able to take off some medium coverage powder foundation with the back side of the cotton pads. This does leave a light film of oil though so I still had to wash my face afterwards.

and this was from a subtle eyeliner day, too
Time for the lipstick. I don't bother removing lip products because there's usually nothing left after my days of ceaseless snacking and tea guzzling, but for you, I pressed that soaked cotton pad on twice.


It tasted awful by the way; slightly oily and bitter. On the lipstick removing front, though, that's an impressive 95% removed for Rosette, and a good 80% removed for Very Cherry. It's not swatch marathon material, but it's fine for regular days. The residual tint can be washed off with foaming cleanser.

Summary:

Pros:
  • Removes waterproof eye shadows
  • Completely removes washable mascara 
  • Removes lip color
  • Price (P198 for 100mL)
Cons: 
  • Struggles with waterproof mascara
  • Leaves a light oily film that has to be washed off
  • Scent is insect killer floral



Performance Rating: 3.5/5
Scent: 2/5
Packaging: 3.5/5
Price: 4/5

Rebuy:  Yes
Have I gotten over the weird name yet? Just a little bit. I can foresee a bit of a pause when I go to rebuy this, but anyway, it makes for an okay everyday makeup remover -- as long as you forego the waterproof mascara. The post-remover face-washing can be a deal breaker for some, but I always wash my face after using makeup removers anyway.

Am I the only one who feels this way about the names of these Body Part Remover products??

No comments:

Post a Comment