Friday, September 18, 2015

Review: V&M Naturals Bare it All Cream (Minty)

One of the shopping "rules" I always break is the one where you're not supposed to get something without trying out a tester or a sample pack, first. And when some (read: almost all) local brands don't provide testers, it gives off the impression that they don't trust that their product will appeal to anyone who isn't playing beauty roulette: Will this make me smooth, or will it make be break out in oozing hives?

But at the time I told myself "Hey, it's body cream, it's not like I'm going to pick out the wrong shade, right?" So here we are.




Price: 285 for 100g; 595 for 250g; P695 for 300


According to vnmnaturals.com:
"Bare It All Emu Body Cream is especially formulated to smoothen and whiten the roughest and darkest skin areas. Shea butter, jojoba oil and mango butter are known to be the best moisturizing elements from nature. Just imagine how good these can be when mixed with EMU OIL, the ONLY natural oil that is closest to the human oil components. It also penetrates 5x faster than any other natural oil. This could be the holy grail of body creams! It is known to moisturize and whiten even the most stubborn type of chicken skin."


Ingredients: Emu Oil, Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil, Mango Butte,r Papain, Peppermint Extracts

Do I even want to know which of these ingredients is the one responsible for making it purple? But I'll admit that the color was one of the selling points for me, even though color additives are supposed to be bad for sensitive skin. That, and the minty effect this particular one has (it also comes in a non-minty version). So a lot of side-eye for the Hypo-Allergenic claim here.

Oh, did I say minty effect? Sorry, I meant burning effect.

I made the mistake of putting this all over my arms after using it on my hands the night before. The effect was pleasantly tingly on the fingertips, but on the thinner skin on my arms, holy hell. And you can't even wash it off easily because it's oil based.

And of course, according to Murphy's Law (anything that can go wrong, will go wrong), there's a 50% chance that I'll get something in my eye 3 seconds after I touch this.




Once the mint effect wears off and you stop screaming, you'll notice that this sits on top of the skin as a waxy film. It's not sticky like heavy cream, but more of infinitesimally tacky, like when you rub a candle on your hand. On the plus side, it's the kind of waxy that doesn't rub off on things you touch and doesn't wash off easily either. 

At the counter, the SA put some Smother Me on the back of my hand, saying that Bare it All was a thicker version (plus, it didn't have the waxy feel). I'll be using that one next week to compare it with this one. 




Needless to say, I did not get to try this out on my chicken skin. And as far as the whitening promises go, it's probably directed towards hard, scaly calluses like the ones on knees and elbows.

The scent is similarly overwhelmingly peppermint, but eases into a sweet, artificial mango (think powdered mango juice or mango flavored candy) that lasts 3-4 hours on me. This is probably the only reason I'm still using this as a hand cream.

Summary
Pros:
  • Long-lasting
  • Doesn't wash off easily
  • Doesn't leave sticky fingerprints

Neutral:
  • Price. 
  • Long-wearing scent for a body cream - good if you like the scent; awful if you don't

Cons:
  • Overly minty
  • Waxy feel


Performance Rating: 2/5

Longevity: 4.5/5

Scent: 4/5

Packaging: 3/5

Price: 3.5/5

Verdict:

I originally bought this with the intention of using it with Bikini Bomb Salve, but forgot when the SA kept pushing for the minty version, as it was something "extra" for the same price. Before you decide between minty and regular "flavor" (yes, that's how their site puts it), try out the testers, first. The minty variant was uncomfortable for me, so I ended up using it only on hotter days, mixing it with some regular body cream to lessen the effect. I's recommend this as a hand cream because of its hand-wash resistance.


There's also news of a reformulation to make this less minty. But for now, I'll opt for their other non-minty body creams.

Have you tried any local bath & beauty brands lately? We'd also love to hear about your experiences into uncharted territory -- no testers, swatch-free online buys -- all your bath & beauty bravery!

No comments:

Post a Comment